Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Discombobulation

An Inner Circle member brought it up at the meeting last week when she said she was feeling discombobulated. And why not? New granchild, a very close relative passing away, a key staff member leaving and moving away, with the holiday season on top of it all. I'm betting that all my members have felt discombobulated with the trials, both personal and professional, that face us regularly.

Come to think of it, I've been a bit discombulated the past three weeks or so, having taken the kids, without Meg, on a road trip to Michigan to visit my sister and then having the kids, with out Meg again, for five more nights so she could visit with her sisters at a wedding in Florida. Playing Mr. Mom is not for me. Took several days to get back into the rhythm of things.

There's that word again. Rhythm. For various assorted reasons we all get out of rhythm. Out of sync. Out of sorts. It just happens.

Getting back in-synk (excuse the pun, I couldn't resist) is a matter of getting back in rhythm. Getting back into a flow of things that make things feel more familar and comfortable. Finding that rhythm or structure or routine to your life that allows you the creativity you need to succeed. It sets you free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been good at work life balance. In fact, my lack of success in this area has resulted in me taking my own sweet time finding a job since my last layoff. Having spent the majority of my adult life diving headlong into my job at the sake of all around me, I'm enjoying the sweeter side of life..doing those things that have lasting value like attending my daughter's soccer game or volunteering at my church.

When I first heard Stephen Covery talk about the QII approach to time management, it made sense. Do those things that matter most first, and everything else will fall into place. Sure it makes sense in my head to plan my life that way, but when that workplace peer pressure kicks in, the perspective becomes a bit skewed.